Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The story behind the purses...

In 2008, my friend gave me a small pile of upholstery swatches. I loved the beautiful colors and textures, and I started thinking. Wouldn't they be perfect for a purse? A couple broken sewing machine needles later (I learned that I needed a heavy-duty leather needle for fabric this sturdy!), I had my first purse, a black-and-white striped tote of the same style as the ones currently listed in my shop. I used it all summer long, and I still get it out every once in a while!

I got more upholstery swatches and began making purses for my family and friends. As I made more and more, people started remarking that I could sell them. Around that time, my cousins opened Etsy shops, and I was intrigued. Maybe I could, too! But I was in my last year of finishing my PhD (that's a whole 'nother story...) and it just wasn't the right time to start a business.

Two years later, I have a PhD, completed a year as a postdoc, and have moved to a new time zone. My husband (and my family and friends, of course!) encouraged me to follow my dreams-- and Lettered Olive Handmade was born!

No comments:

Post a Comment